libltdl vs System.loadLibrary

Alexandre Oliva aoliva@redhat.com
Sun Mar 23 21:04:00 GMT 2003

On Nov  5, 2002, Tom Tromey <tromey@redhat.com> wrote:
   ^^^^^^^^^^^^ Jeez, this was a *long* time ago! :-)

Anthony> What does libltdl buy us beyond ldopen/ldclose?  Could we
Anthony> just remove it?

> I chose it early on.  I thought it would solve dlopen portability
> problems for us.  (And maybe it does and we haven't noticed :-)
> Alexandre Oliva (CCd) may have insight on the pros and cons of this
> library.

I think the only portability wins would be on HP-UX and MS-Windows
(and maybe Mac OS X, I'm not sure about this; it's been a long time
:-).  Oh, and any platforms that don't support dynamic linking, that
dlpreopen emulates nicely, up to a point.