Need Feedback: Technical Questions Regarding GCC/GCJ 3.3 Build under MSYS/MingW

Tom Tromey tromey@redhat.com
Thu Mar 13 06:52:00 GMT 2003

Mohan> Do you think that command line limitations are the problem of
Mohan> the platform and not the tools, and that the platform should
Mohan> somehow cope with this shortcoming? Or do you think that
Mohan> command-line limitations are an artificial limitation that:

Mohan> - configure scripts needlessly have to test for and somehow work around
Mohan> on a case-by-case basis?
Mohan> - could be overcome if tools like ar, gcc, gcj supported file lists
Mohan> natively?

If I had to pick one, I'd say we have to work around the limitations
in configure, when we care to.

In the general case we can't fix the toolchain, because on some
platforms we don't use the GNU binutils.  That doesn't make changing
the toolchain a waste of time, it just means it isn't a complete
solution.

Whether or not we care about such platforms is a different, but
related, question.  I don't remember right now what platforms use the
GNU toolchain and what platforms don't.

BTW, gcj does support file lists, at least for generating .class
output (not sure about .o).