Running Eclipse 2.1 RC1 (Was: dl_iterate_phdr() deadlock patch)

Mark Wielaard mark@klomp.org
Sun Mar 2 23:42:00 GMT 2003

Hi,

On Sat, 2003-03-01 at 23:21, Tom Tromey wrote:

> Mark> I needed was to create the following file (attached):
> Mark>  workspace/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.jdt.launching/libraryInfos.xml
>
> Mark> It just tells Eclipse what the JRE System Library is. Eclipse will try
> Mark> to guess automatically and fail, after which you cannot set it by hand
> Mark> anymore if this file isn't available during startup.
>
> How about modifying Eclipse to be able to guess correctly for our
> case?

I will try that soon. Eclipse seems to be made especially to make
Eclipse hacking easy. It is simple to import the Eclipse source into
your own project. And except for the verifier everything about 3.3 seems
to be ready to run (a precompiled) Eclipse out of the box.

> Mark> You will just need Hans Boehm his patch and probably disable the
> Mark> bytecode verifier (I haven't tried enabling it).
>
> I'm sure it needs to be disabled.  My recent verifier fix didn't fix
> the xerces bug -- it fixed something else.

You are right :( I just tried with a clean 3.3 build (but with the
boehm-gc patch):

java.lang.VerifyError: verification failed at PC 544 in
org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.Resource:move((Lorg.eclipse.core.runtime.IPath;ILorg.eclipse.core.runtime.IProgressMonitor;)V): incompatible type on stack

Haven't investigated further yet.
Should we offer a way to disable the verifier from the command line?
e.g. -Dgnu.gcj.runtime.verify=false
Or do you prefer to get the actual bug reports so you can hunt down the
actual cause?

Cheers,

Mark