java.net.InetAddress

Michael Koch konqueror@gmx.de
Sat Jun 21 12:35:00 GMT 2003

Sorry, Erik, Sorry.

I dont wanted to write a mail that sounds harsh to you.

Am Samstag, 21. Juni 2003 16:00 schrieb Erik Poupaert:
> > This line is surely be wrong. It should read like follows:
> >
> > 192.168.0.2 linuxpresario.mydomain.com linuxpresario
>
> I'm not an exegete on network issues, so my objections are
> definitely not authoritative.
>
> But would it make sense to say that such entry could potentially
> (in particular circumstances) conflict with dhcp-assigned numbers?
> What if I transient network conditions lead to the inability to
> obtain a valid ip quad? Would all machines with such entry
> advertise that they are the legitimate holder of ip quad
> "192.168.0.2"? Would that possibly create havoc on the network?
> Would that not potentially be worse than having no ip quad
> assignment at all?

Hmm, maybe. I dont know the issues with DHCP too well. If your network
uses its own DNS server it should be possible to remove this line
totally.

Most Linux are configured to look into /etc/hosts and if not found ask
the DNS servers. If your DNS server is configured to return the
correct IP for each machine all is okay.

> > We can only imitate JRE behaviour, not guess what the
> > user/developer of the software means. I've found no library for
> > mind-reading on the web yet. Perhaps some day ...
> > For the Win32 port we have to wait for Mohan. He does this port.
> > And if he says SUNs JRE behaves the same as our implementation
> > I'm okay with it. I think some parts are still missing in the
> > Win32 port.
>
> I really wasn't criticizing the GCJ team.
>
> I think the GCJ has done a great and very respectable job! And
> indeed I don't expect any of the people on the team to start
> mind-reading. It's not that I think that Mohan has an obligation to
> me or anybody else to do any work on the win32 port!

Sorry again for my harsh mail. We are trying our best and you are
always a good helper for us. We cant find all our bugs ourself. And
you are really helpful to us.

> I just feel that I cannot rely on the exact content of the
> /etc/hosts file on linux or the equivalent file on win32. These
> machines may be a bit misconfigured (I really can't judge that),
> but this misconfiguration is so common that I have to accept it as
> being a normal operating condition -- from any practical point of
> view.
>
> Almost any client machine that I could conceivably deploy on, will
> get it's authoritative ip quad from a dhcp server somewhere.

If you cant depend on the machines configuration find ways to do so,
e.g. depend on your applications configure files or something like
that.

Michael
- --
Homepage: http://www.worldforge.org/