properties files

Bryce McKinlay bryce@mckinlay.net.nz
Fri Jun 20 00:38:00 GMT 2003

On Friday, June 20, 2003, at 12:31 AM, Michael Koch wrote:

> I would like to know what is the plan where to put properties files in
> libgcj source tree and installation tree ?
>
> I would like to introduce libjava/properties and put all properties
> files there with a Makefile.am which installs them in the correct
> directories.

I would prefer to put .properties files in the source directory to
which they relate. For example, it seems logical to put
logging.properties in java/util/logging.

> Is it a good idea to put them all into $prefix/share/java ? This way
> they would all be in one directory.

Currently we install a couple of policy files for java.security into
$prefix/lib/security, but $prefix/share/java seems a more appropriate
location. I agree that it doesn't make much sense to put something like
logging.properties in libgcj.so, however we should ensure that all
classes which use properties files also have reasonable defaults, in
case the properties file does not exist at runtime.

Bryce.