Testsuites and Test Results

Tom Tromey tromey@redhat.com
Mon Jun 9 16:28:00 GMT 2003

>>>>> "Ranjit" == Ranjit Mathew <rmathew@hotmail.com> writes:

Ranjit> 1. What exactly does XFAIL mean? Does it mean that "the
Ranjit>    testcase code is wrong and the compiler flagged an error as
Ranjit>    expected" or "we know that this is a bug in the compiler
Ranjit>    and it will fail until the bug is fixed"?

First, note that libgcj has somewhat different policies than the rest
of gcc.  Our goal is "0 FAIL" -- the rest of gcc has a different
approach.

We use xfail to mean "the compiler and/or runtime does not properly
handle this particular test case", your second choice.

Ranjit> IMHO, the first paragraph in the page above should also be
Ranjit> included in this page:
Ranjit>    http://gcc.gnu.org/install/test.html

Could you send a patch?

Ranjit> 3. For some weird reason that is not immediately
Ranjit>    obvious to me by looking at the testsuite/Makefile,
Ranjit>    my DejaGNU "runtest" is not picked up by make.
Ranjit>    "runtest" is in "/usr/local/bin" and it definitely
Ranjit>    is in my PATH.

I haven't had this problem.  I usually run make check from the
libjava build directory though.

Ranjit> 4. Even after this, only about 85 tests are actually
Ranjit>    run (all PASS-es).

Which ones appear to be missing?

Ranjit> 5. Tcl keeps complaining about INTERPRETER not being
Ranjit>    defined and definining it to "yes" on the make
Ranjit>    command line does not help.

Maybe a dejagnu/expect/tcl/... installation problem?
I've never seen this.

Ranjit> 6. I don't know why, but the executables are
Ranjit>    produced with a ".exe" extension. For example,
Ranjit>    "TestEarlyGC.exe", etc. Is this a bug or
Ranjit>    a feature?

Feature.  This makes the test suite a bit simpler.