Problems with Mohans GCJ 20030522 build

Øyvind Harboe oyvind.harboe@zylin.com
Wed Jun 4 14:25:00 GMT 2003

>I could also achieve the the same effect by insisting people
>download a certain version of binutils on my download page
>and even making a local copy available for download. Øyvind?

I think we would loose something if we went that way.

The thing about your build that I really do not want to
loose is that new users do not have to read up on all
GCJs subcomponents. The user gets a complete package that is
known to work as a whole. GCC can be pretty intimidating
at first.

IMHO, the biggest impediment to GCJ being used more broadly
is the amount of reading and tweaking required to get
going.

A little while longer with tweaking your build, and we
could get a single .zip file that works out of the box
for almost everybody and requires an absolute minimum of
reading before getting started.

If it wasn't for MinGW 3.2 that worked out of the box,
I would never have gotten hooked on GCJ.

Øyvind