Problems with Mohans GCJ 20030522 build

Ranjit Mathew rmathew@hotmail.com
Wed Jun 4 11:20:00 GMT 2003

> The former also seems like a bug (to me) in "mingw local".
> (Only Danny can say for sure, though.)

Danny says:

    "as and rest of binutils needs to be in <tooldir> which is
    relative to exec_prefix.  Typically this is
    $(mingw_root)/mingw32/bin or $(mingw_root)/i686-pc-mingw32/bin,
    That's where gcc looks.  The ones in $(mingw_root)/bin
    (the path) really are just for convenience for people who
    want to run say as.exe directly, rather than  gcc foo.S.

    They get installed there by binutils install without any
    help from local patches."

In Mohan's 20030522 build, when I move binutils programs
(as,ld,etc.) from $GCC/mingw32/bin to $GCC/i686-pc-mingw32/bin,
the problem disappears.

The question is: why is this new folder "i686-pc-mingw32"
there *in addition to* "mingw32"? Perhaps Mohan has changed
the way he builds GCJ...

As for the 0-bit reloc problem, I do not see a released
binutils for MinGW later than 2.13.90-20030111, so
*perhaps* one might have better luck compiling one of
the later binutils snapshots in:

   ftp://sources.redhat.com/pub/binutils/snapshots

Ranjit.

--
Ranjit Mathew          Email: rmathew AT hotmail DOT com

Bangalore, INDIA.      Web: http://ranjitmathew.tripod.com/