gcj does pretty darned well... (was: Re: GCC and Fortran eat...)

Tom Tromey tromey@redhat.com
Sat Jan 4 00:25:00 GMT 2003

Terry> BTW, I did open a bug report in the JCP for the 2x slowdown the
Terry> Sun & IBM JDKs experienced on this code going from 1.3 to
Terry> 1.4...PLEASE don't let gcj emulate those two packages in that
Terry> regard!

Don't worry.  I think 3.3 generally has better performance than 3.2.
I imagine 3.4 will be even better.

Terry> The author still hasn't updated his page to show a run with
Terry> similar gcj settings on his P4...perhaps a bit more prodding is
Terry> in order?

Feel free to ping him.  CC the list if you like.

Terry> There are a whole lot of folk on Slashdot with the wrong
Terry> impression...

Yeah, that's unfortunate.  I've taken to ignoring SlashDot.  Perhaps
it is better to respond with facts, but it is also time consuming
given the volume of misconception.