attempt to send plain text email.

Per Bothner per@bothner.com
Fri Feb 28 09:16:00 GMT 2003

Ranjit Mathew wrote:
  > 2. The libgcj build process results in an awful lot of short-lived
>    processes being created and destroyed. Cygwin and MSYS (which is
>    based on an earlier release of cygwin1.dll), use a...errr...
>    "complicated" implementation of fork( ) that certainly doesn't
>    contribute to making things fast:
>
>        http://cygwin.com/faq/faq_4.html#SEC77

I believe the gcc/g++/gcj commands use spawn, not fork,
on Windows.  I assume make also uses spwan, but I don't know.
In that case the speed for frok is irrelevant.

It might be possible to set things up so calling another
program is implemented using a sub-routine call into a
shared library, though you have to be careful to
re-initialize things.  My gcc compiler server (see recent
postings to gcc@gcc.gnu.org) may be useful in that respect.
--
	--Per Bothner