GCJ 3.3 crash with string handling reproduceable case

Ranjit Mathew rmathew4lists@hotmail.com
Thu Feb 27 07:25:00 GMT 2003

> I've just deployed a minGW application compiled by 3.3.
>
> Does the problem with garbage collection mean that memory won't be
> recovered, and that the application will starve? I mean, is this something
> that will bring down the application and even the entire OS?
>
> Should I recall the application, and compile with 3.2 instead?

Relax! The GC still works - if you don't believe me, compile and
run this program with Mohan's GCJ 3.3 build and you should see
the messages when the objects are reclaimed by the GC:
------------------------------- 8< --------------------------------
public class TestGC
{
  public static void main( String[] args) throws Exception
  {
    for( int i = 0; i < 1000000; i++)
    {
      TestGC discardMe = new TestGC( );
    }
  }

  public void finalize( ) throws Throwable
  {
    System.out.println( "Goodbye cruel world!");
  }
}