GCJ 3.3 crash with string handling reproduceable case

Andrew Haley aph@redhat.com
Wed Feb 26 14:20:00 GMT 2003

Ranjit Mathew writes:
 > >Ranjit Mathew writes:
 > >  >
 > >  > BTW, as Jeff had pointed out earlier, the "gctest" from the GC
 > >  > always crashes immediately for me as well with a GPF.
 > >
 > >Well, that's the thing to fix first, before doing _anything_ with gcj.
 > >If the gc isn't reliable, nothing is reliable.
 > >
 > >Andrew.
 >
 > :-( Yes, it isn't encouraging at all, is it? Especially when
 > GCJ/Win32 *seems* to work otherwise...

That's just life.  When building a house, sometimes people make
mistakes with insufficient foundations and someone else later has to
do expensive underpinning work.  It sucks, but it's the penalty for
being a race of imperfect beings.

I have just spent a lot of time tracking down what I thought was a gcj
problem -- it turned out in the end to be a linker bug.  C'est la vie.

Andrew.