building libgcj on HFS+ was:Re: MACOSX support

Andreas Tobler toa@pop.agri.ch
Fri Feb 21 06:11:00 GMT 2003

Ranjit Mathew wrote:
>>As mentioned to Tom privately here the patch which fixed this about a
>>year ago.
>>
>>http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2002-05/msg01556.html
>

> Two questions:
>
> 1. How does this resolve the bugs related to the case-insensitivity
>    of the filesystem? AFAIK, HFS is a case-insensitive filesystem,
>    right?

Naively spoken, yes. I built it before on ufs since I got some funny
build failures on hfs+. Changing to ufs helped. (about a year ago)
After this patch I moved back to ufs. And the build went fine.

Please bear in mind, we have here on MacOS two hfs versions, hfs and
hfs+. The former, as written, I wouldn't recommend. The latter is the
one we're speaking about.

> 2. Could this partly explain why native builds on Windows are so
>    slow (it doesn't have scandir( ) and alphasort( ), even in
>    libmingwex/libiberty)?

Don't know. The builds here are also very slow. This is due to different
reasons. bash, filesystem...

Andreas