SWT Crash Problem with MingW/GCJ (UPDATED)

Mohan Embar gnustuff@thisiscool.com
Tue Feb 18 07:16:00 GMT 2003

JohnM> I don't think it has ever built natively very well... MSYS itself has some
JohnM> serious problems when trying to build the whole of GCC anyway (it runs out
JohnM> of handles), so I don't see how it would work.

John: are you referring to the latest version of MSYS? And to your knowledge, is
the exhaustion of handles an MSYS thing or a Win9X thing which might not happen
on WinNT/2K/XP?

Ranjit: on your website, you had mentioned having had a go at this and running
into problems. To your knowledge, was MSYS the culprit or the MINGW runtime?
I'm running into case sensitivity problems which to my untrained eye, seem to
occur when the compilation of a file triggers the compilation of a dependent
class.

This is a purely intellectual exercise which I'm (hopefully) not going to
stress out about too much. After reading John's Cygwin cross-compile instructions,
I'm sure that 3.3 would build just fine just like it does under Linux.

A general question for those of you out there waiting for my next 3.3 build:
would updating John's instructions for a Cygwin to MingW cross-compile empower
you to do your own builds, do your own CVS refreshes, apply your own patches,
etc.? Or is the idea of doing a build yourself too intimidating and you'd feel
more comfortable just waiting me to do a build whenever I get around to it?
(Like I've said before, this is subject to my availability with no guarantees.)
I need feedback on this because I need to know whether it would be worthwhile
for me (or someone else) to reattempt and redocument a Cygwin cross-compile,
maybe with step-by-step instructions on how to install and use a CVS client
on Win32, how to apply a patch, etc. or else that I keep on doing the builds
on Linux myself and playing around with a MingW/MSYS self-hosted build for "fun".

-- Mohan
http://www.thisiscool.com/
http://www.animalsong.org/