GCC 3.4 Release Status (2003-12-16)

Mark Mitchell mark@codesourcery.com
Tue Dec 16 17:58:00 GMT 2003

On Tue, 2003-12-16 at 09:41, Richard Earnshaw wrote:
> mark@codesourcery.com said:
> > Do we still need -fwritable-strings?  We have a 3.4 regression with
> > that option, and I would prefer just to remove the option, since we're
> > moving away from supporting traditional C anyhow.
>
> Rather than killing it outright with no notice, why not deprecate it and
> say that any bugs in the implementation will no-longer be fixed.

Yes, that would be OK too.

The goal would simply be to not spend anyone's energy fixing bugs in
this feature.

Your plan is better than mine in that it is more gradual, but worse in
that it takes more work to deprecate something than just to kill it.  I
could be happy either way. :-)

--
Mark Mitchell <mark@codesourcery.com>
CodeSourcery, LLC