backtrace() vs. _Unwind_Backtrace()

Andrew Haley aph@redhat.com
Sun Dec 7 00:17:00 GMT 2003

I don't want it to sound like I'm opposed to the approach of calling
_Unwind_Backtrace() directly.  It sounds quite a clean idea.  However,
not every architecture supports DWARF2, and if we have a new
architecture for unwinding we need to support those targets too.

I am also not keen on checking in a performance regression at this
stage in 3.4.  It might be that the cost of
_Unwind_FindEnclosingFunction is so much higher than that of unwinding
the stack that the difference vanishes into the noise.  I don't know.

Andrew.