Compiling "static" applications with SWT/GTK

Scott Gilbertson scottg@mantatest.com
Wed Dec 3 18:29:00 GMT 2003

> Andrew Haley writes:
> Thinking about this some more, this seems like an ideal candidate for
> the "gcj JIT".  Whenever a class is initialized, compile its code and
> leave a copy of a .o file in a directory.  To build the application,
> just link all the .o files together.

That's a very cool idea (I've often thought Sun should have it, so you load
a whole lot quicker on the second and subsequent runs), but for us embedded
systems folks it means you need the compiler on the target system.  Another
approach would be to auto-generate a Makefile, possibly to be included from
the user's hand-written one.  That way all you'd need on the embedded box is
the dynamic library, which can be removed once you've generated the Makefile
and done a static build.