Compiling "static" applications with SWT/GTK

Anthony Green green@redhat.com
Mon Dec 1 20:27:00 GMT 2003

On Mon, 2003-12-01 at 15:10, Andrew Haley wrote:
>  > I mean, my GCJ installation in my Linux environment ships with a
>  > libgcj static library and a libgcj shared library, and GCJ has a
>  > "-static" flag... so what's the problem?  If there are problems
>  > with the "-static" flag, or static compilation in general, it would
>  > seem to make more sense to resolve those issues...  rather than
>  > leave it broken and tell people "it's like that on purpose", or
>  > "it's for your own good".
>
> It can't be done.  I have explained why it can't be done on several
> occasions.

Well, what I remember you saying is that it can't be done in a way that
fully supports the language features (Class.forName()).  But there's
ample evidence that people are interested in, and are capable of
building useful statically linked applications that don't require full
language runtime support (XWT is a great example of this).

AG

--
Anthony Green <green@redhat.com>
Red Hat, Inc.