Compiling "static" applications with SWT/GTK

Per Bothner per@bothner.com
Mon Dec 1 08:10:00 GMT 2003

Ranjit Mathew wrote:

> You make it look as if Steve is speaking Klingon! ;-)
>
> Doesn't what he says make sense? AFAICT, libgcj.so is not
> present even on most Linux users' system unless they are
> running a newish distro, so either the developer has to
> tell them to get this or bundle it with his application.
> (Even if it were, unless the API is sort of frozen, the
> issue will continue to persist.)
>
> Both the scenarios are awkward, if not ugly, from a
> usability POV.

What is the difference between:
(1) installation script installs a statically linked application; vs
(2) installation script installs a dynamically linked application
plus a shared library in an application-specific directory.

I have a hard time seeing the usability difference.
--
	--Per Bothner