XAWT: First useable (visible) results...

Clemens Eisserer linuxhippy@web.de
Tue Aug 26 22:15:00 GMT 2003

Hi there!

Today I really worked really very hard, but at about 8 o´clock (evening)
it worked: An emplty Frame showed up!!
I attached a screenshot froma sample app. (This was the only awt-stuff I
had althought bigger things should be no problem)

Most things already work, like Buttons, ScrollPanes, Labels,
EventListeners, GridBagLayout..., there are still problems with
image-loading.
Till now everything is still JNI, I want to have everything working
before I start a CNI port .

I also know that the L&F is still not really nice, but it should not be
hard to make xawt skinnable.

There is also another problem, there are errors, but the app still works.
Could you explain me please what GIJ wants to tell me:

java.lang.VerifyError: verification failed at PC 93 in
kaffe.util.Timer:run(()V): recursive subroutine call
   at _Jv_BytecodeVerifier.verify_fail(byte, int) (/usr/lib/libgcj.so.4.0.0)
   at _Jv_BytecodeVerifier.verify_instructions_0()
(/usr/lib/libgcj.so.4.0.0)
   at _Jv_VerifyMethod(_Jv_InterpMethod) (/usr/lib/libgcj.so.4.0.0)
   at _Jv_PrepareClass(java.lang.Class) (/usr/lib/libgcj.so.4.0.0)
   at java.lang.ClassLoader.linkClass0(java.lang.Class)
(/usr/lib/libgcj.so.4.0.0)
   at java.lang.ClassLoader.resolveClass0(java.lang.Class)
(/usr/lib/libgcj.so.4.0.0)
   at java.lang.Class.initializeClass() (/usr/lib/libgcj.so.4.0.0)
   at _Jv_ResolvePoolEntry(java.lang.Class, int) (/usr/lib/libgcj.so.4.0.0)
   at java.xawt.Scrollbar.mouseReleased(java.xawt.event.MouseEvent)
(Unknown Source)
   at java.xawt.Component.processMouseEvent(java.xawt.event.MouseEvent)
(Unknown Source)
   at java.xawt.Component.processEvent(java.xawt.AWTEvent) (Unknown Source)
   at java.xawt.Component.processMouse(java.xawt.event.MouseEvent)
(Unknown Source)
   at java.xawt.MouseEvt.dispatch() (Unknown Source)
   at java.xawt.EventDispatchThread.run() (Unknown Source)
   at _Jv_ThreadRun(java.lang.Thread) (/usr/lib/libgcj.so.4.0.0)
   at GC_start_routine (/usr/lib/libgcj.so.4.0.0)
   at __clone (/lib/libc.so.6)

lg Clemens

@Per Bothner: Even using GTK as underlaying layer for GTK doesnt help to
make apps look like native.
Because AWT only has few widgets and all modern java-toolkits are
lightweight. I´m sure someday there also will be a free SWING
implementation - there are already many other free lightweight-tolkits -
awt-widgets will be obsolete. Then GTK will only be a layer which will
slow down drawing.