binary compatibility ABI (was: Re: [boehm-gc] Import 6.3 alpha 1)

Andrew Haley aph@redhat.com
Wed Aug 20 17:21:00 GMT 2003

Jeff Sturm writes:

 > My impression is that libgcj is vital to overall application performance.
 > I doubt users can replace code in java.lang.* without breaking things.
 > Perhaps libgcj should distinguish bootclasspath code from the rest, and
 > not allow runtime class replacment in the former?

IMO libgcj should be linked so that every internal reference is
direct, so nothing in that library may be replaced at runtime -- as
you say, this would be very fragile and insecure.

It would be good to make this change at the same time as the binary
compatibility ABI changes.

Andrew.