solib: URL patch

Tom Tromey tromey@redhat.com
Thu Aug 14 02:18:00 GMT 2003

>>>>> "Bryce" == Bryce McKinlay <bryce@mckinlay.net.nz> writes:

Bryce> With the new ABI fully implemented it shouldn't matter much whether
Bryce> you load them with RTLD_GLOBAL or not. After all, a class in an .so
Bryce> will just boil down to some constant pool data plus a table containing
Bryce> pointers to the (private symbols) of the method implementations,
Bryce> right? Its how those classes get registered with the classloader when
Bryce> the library is opened that matters.

You know, I never thought about that.  Weird.  I was just assuming
we'd keep on generating public symbols like we do now.  But of course
we don't need to do that.

The registration problem is already solved in the solib: URL patch.
Both resources and classes are registered via hooks at dlopen() time.
(The class hook was already added by Per when he added
SharedLibLoader.)

There's still the question of how CNI methods work in this scenario.
They can't be private, since they will be in a different .o.