binary compatibility ABI (was: Re: [boehm-gc] Import 6.3 alpha 1)

Tom Tromey tromey@redhat.com
Wed Aug 13 18:03:00 GMT 2003

>> Sounds like -fno-assume-compiled and the binary compatibility ABI are
>> two different means to the same end.

Jeff> I think so, too.  Both -fno-assume-compiled and -findirect-dispatch are
Jeff> incomplete solutions towards a general implementation of binary
Jeff> compatibility.  Perhaps both should become part of the new ABI,
Jeff> and the old flags can then be deprecated.

I think the ABI implemented by -fno-assume-compiled should just be
eliminated.  It has never fully worked, and based on getting eclipse
to work with it, I can say that it is pretty fragile.

For instance, it generates method calls by looking up the method in
the target class' method vector (the one in the Class, not the vtable,
since we do this for static methods too).  If you happen to recompile
the target class with another compiler, things stop working.  (This
happened to me a couple times, when I rebuilt some plugin with jikes
or javac instead of ecj... ouch.)