libgcj has some j2ee classes but not all

Bryce McKinlay bryce@mckinlay.net.nz
Thu Aug 7 12:17:00 GMT 2003

On Thursday, Aug 7, 2003, at 17:55 Pacific/Auckland, Per Bothner wrote:

> Bryce McKinlay wrote:
>
>> It currently isn't possible to have two instances of a class with the
>> same name, so you'll have to remove the offending classes from either
>> your application or from libgcj. This is due to the way GCJ's ABI
>> works.  Work is underway on a new ABI that will support this, but it
>> probably won't be ready for a while.
>
> We should probably move J2EE-only classes into a separate .jar
> and .so.  I'd like us to continue searching those by default,
> but it should possible to not get the j2ee-classes by changing
> the classpath, so that can point to some other j2ee implementation.

Do we have any J2EE-only classes in libgcj? A lot of the stuff you'd
associate with J2EE (javax.transaction, javax.naming, ...) also appears
in the J2SE. That isn't to say that splitting them out into another .so
wouldn't be a bad idea, but how do we make it easy for the user?

One idea would be to have a "libgcj extensions" directory which is
searched for .jars by default by the compiler. If a class is found in
one of these .jars, gcj would automatically link against a
corresponding .so.

So for example, when it finds javax.foo.Bar in j2ee.jar, it will know
to add -lj2ee to the link options.

Bryce.