Why are tests in libjava/configure.host based on ${host} instead of ${target}??

David Daney ddaney@avtrex.com
Tue Aug 5 19:42:00 GMT 2003

Why are tests in libjava/configure.host based on ${host} instead of
${target}?

And for that matter why is it called configure.host?  Wouldn't
configure.target be a better name?

I am working on getting a GCJ cross compiler hosted on i386-linux and
targeted at mipsel-linux working.   My current efforts are against
gcc-3.3.  It seems that modifying libjava/configure.host is needed
because I need to set can_unwind_signal=yes.

The (potential) problem I have found is that everything in
configure.host switches based on the '${host}'.  It seems to me that all
the options in there are target options and should switch based on the
'${target}'.

I have patched my local version to do this, but am wondering if I am
missing something.

Thanks in advance for any insight into this matter

David Daney.