SV: Adding another configuration feature to libjava for arm-elfmetal configurations

Anthony Green green@redhat.com
Wed Apr 30 18:34:00 GMT 2003

On Wed, 2003-04-30 at 10:58, Øyvind Harboe wrote:
> Do you think it is worth the effort to try to create patch for a handful more
> of disable/enable-java-foo (like disable/enable-java-awt) configuration
> options(i.e. does it stand any chance of being accepted)?

I don't know.  To be honest, I believe you will have a hard time finding
nice chunks to toggle like that.  For instance, I suspect that your
image already doesn't include any of the AWT or SWING code.

One reason the library is so big is because the core classes are so
"connected".  ie. ClassLoader requires networking requires
internationalization etc (or something like that).

This paper...

 http://irb.cs.uni-magdeburg.de/bs/papers/dipes2000/dipes-kluwer.pdf

...describes some of the work they did to get a useful system out of
300k text and 100k data.

> Perhaps I'm going about this in the wrong way and there is some easier way to
> configure a trimmed down libgcj.

I think that maintaining one or more j2me configurations of the runtime
would be useful and interesting.  It's more than I can do on my own, and
I don't think there's been sufficient interest from others to help yet.

AG