Adams suggestion on reducing executable size

Øyvind Harboe oyvind.harboe@zylin.com
Tue Apr 29 11:00:00 GMT 2003

I am working on a project where I'm trying to use a GCC 3.3
CygWin arm-elf cross compiler. Its a 70MHz ARM w/2-4MB
flash and 256kb of RAM.

I'd like to use GCJ, but obviously the above sets a
strict limit on the working set.

When going through the mailing lists, I found a suggestion
from Adam.

http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/java/2002-11/msg00157.html

I think his suggestion was treated too harshly.

Clearly there are some configurations where it just plain
does not make sense to use Java, but surely 4MB flash and
256kb of RAM isn't below that threshold. Some drastic
measures are necessary to make things fit though.

The alternative to drastic(not always as clean as one
could wish), is that GCJ is not used at all for these
sort of embedded configurations.

Øyvind