java unexpected failures with inexplicable error messages

Zack Weinberg zack@codesourcery.com
Mon Apr 28 00:13:00 GMT 2003

I'm seeing TestEarlyGC and TestLeak fail in my builds, with runtime
backtraces like this:

(TestEarlyGC)
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
   loaded class java.lang.System was in fact named java.lang.System
   at _Jv_ClassReader.handleClassBegin
   at _Jv_ClassReader.parse
   at _Jv_DefineClass
[...]

(TestLeak)
Exception in thread "main"
java.lang.InternalError: Unexpected: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
   loaded class java.lang.Error was in fact named java.lang.Error
   at java.lang.reflect.Proxy$ClassFactory.generate
   at java.lang.reflect.Proxy.getProxyClass
   at TestLeak.main
   loaded class java.lang.Error was in fact named java.lang.Error
   at _Jv_ClassReader.handleClassBegin
   at _Jv_ClassReader.parse
   at _Jv_DefineClass
[...]

So two questions:

(1) Are these current expected failures, or did I break something?
(2) What's the deal with this "loaded class X was in fact named X"
    error message?  Shouldn't those two strings be, y'know, different?
    (The relevant code is in defineclass.cc and I don't see how it's
    messing up here.)

zw