gcj and jikes

Per Bothner per@bothner.com
Fri Apr 25 18:55:00 GMT 2003

Tom Tromey wrote:
> I think it would be fairly easy to attach the jikes front end to gcj.
> This would be a vast improvement, since jikes is much better at
> parsing the Java language; for instance, jikes can compile Eclipse,
> whereas gcj cannot.

I think we need to look ahead to JDK 1.5, with its semi-announced
support for generics and more.  Iff the Jikes maintainers are
committed to supporting future Java languages changes, at least the
ones we can see coming doing down the pike, then it may be
a good thing to do.  Though it might still be reasonable to wait
until the first JDK 1.5 alpha is out.
--
	--Per Bothner