libgcc_s.so.1 and libgcj.so.4

Erik Poupaert erik.poupaert@chello.be
Sat Apr 19 13:34:00 GMT 2003

>>>>> Why not?

Because it would be an enormous coincidence that someone else would also
need the versions in 3.3/20030414. By the way, I may very well upgrade to
next snapshot, if it provides substantial advantages/bugfixes. I don't know
what RedHat 10 will distribute; probably that will depend on the progress in
3.3 and the timing of the RedHat 10 release. And also, I must keep an eye on
other distributions and non-rpm installations too.

Since I've licensed the applications under the GPL, I'll be shipping both.
As a convenience, I think that providing the binaries too, for both win32
and linux, will be appreciated. But then again, developer-type downloaders
would probably be more comfortable with recompiling from source. But
developers are not necessarily always the primary audience. I'd like to
reach non-developer types too. As a matter of fact, I have no idea how many
people will actually be interested ...

I'm planning indeed to use RPM, but not in a way that it depends on other
RPMs, which in their turn depend on other RPMs. That story is really not
attractive. By the way, self-contained RPMS go a long way in alleviating the
"dependency hell" everyone is complaining about -- and with good reasons.

How would I need to invoke "ld", in order to obtain equivalent results to:

gcc --main=MyMainClass -o myexe myarc1.a myarc2.a myarc3.a -lmylib1 -lmylib2

What would be the equivalent expression with "ld"? I'd like to link against:

static versions of snapshot:
libgcc_s.so.1
libgcj.so.4

but the dynamically versions of: