libgcj.a instead of libgcj.so + dependencies on linux

Erik Poupaert erik.poupaert@chello.be
Fri Apr 18 23:27:00 GMT 2003

The minGW version links libgcj.a statically, while the linux version of gcj
creates a dependency on libgcj.so and its subsequent dependencies.

At first glance I wanted to add the "-static" method in order to get the
same behaviour on linux as on windows. There is one snag, however. If it's
an swt application, it will also attempt to link the gtk dependencies
statically. I would want to avoid linking gtk statically, because doing so
is complicated.

Is there a way to get the same behaviour on linux as on windows (linking
against libgcj.a instead of libgcj.so)?