FileDescriptor proposal

Anthony Green green@redhat.com
Fri Apr 18 07:11:00 GMT 2003

On Thu, 2003-04-17 at 09:47, Tom Tromey wrote:
> That's a description of the current plan.  What is it that you think
> needs to be changed?  I'm particularly curious about the System.out
> thing.

http://people.redhat.com/green/pfd-sketch.tar.bz includes draft versions
of java/io/File*.java and the new gnu/java/io/* classes described in my
proposal.

Changes to the FileDescriptor users are pretty small.  It should be
obvious how this scheme will easily let us create stream specific
handlers and how we no longer have "int" or native code dependencies.
Porting to a new system requires a new subclass of
PlatformFileDescriptorFactory and one (or more) PlatformFileDescriptor
subclasses.

I've been experimenting with an embedded OS written in Java.  I don't
want to have to use newlib's posix layer for underlying IO.  Initially I
just want System.out text to go directly to the VGA adapter driver.  I
wasn't able to do this before these changes.

If there's some better way to do the same thing, well, that would be
great.

AG