compile question about dll of windows

Danny Smith danny_r_smith_2001@yahoo.co.nz
Sat Apr 12 06:13:00 GMT 2003

 --- Andrew Haley <aph@redhat.com> wrote: > Anthony Green writes:
>  > On Fri, 2003-04-11 at 00:14, Mohan Embar wrote:
>  > > I suspect that when Anthony originally did this,
>  > > there might have been less object files and he didn't run into any
> command-line
>  > > limitations.
>  >
>  > I'm sorry, but I haven't been following this thread very closely.  I did
>  > my experiments on Linux, and tested the DLL under wine.  Aren't the
>  > command-line limitations unique to Windows hosted tools?
>
> What I don't understand is why gcj has such a limitation and ld doesn't.

Probably a limitation in CRT spawn which is used in driver to pass
argumentments to next process. I belive spawn family of functions are wrappers
for CreateProcess. See execute in gcc.c and pexecute in libiberty.

There is/was another memory problem in ld. Even when ld is invoked directly,
processing large numbers of exports is ___slow___ and sometimes exhaisteed
virtual memory.

Danny