RawData ?

Tom Tromey tromey@redhat.com
Tue Apr 8 19:08:00 GMT 2003

>>>>> "Michael" == Michael Koch <konqueror@gmx.de> writes:

Michael> Execept the copyright statement and package name both java
Michael> files are identical. Thats why I thought they could be
Michael> merged.

I've been wondering, but haven't yet brought up, whether this is
something Classpath really wants to do.  It imposes a cost on all
implementing VMs, and compilers.

Note that we don't even handle RawData properly -- for instance I
think `Object foo = <Rawdata>' should be invalid.  Any cast to RawData
should also be rejected by the compiler.

Likewise the interpreter and verifier probably need special cases
here.  There may be other problems, in reflection or JNI.  I'm not
sure.

Hmm, maybe we should get rid of it and use long :-)

If Classpath does continue with this, we could consider changing.  A
patch to do this would also have to change the compiler (that's easy
in this case though).