Using g++ to build java?

Kaveh R. Ghazi ghazi@caip.rutgers.edu
Wed Apr 2 02:56:00 GMT 2003

So, did we come to a conclusion about whether to use C++ in Java and
how to accomplish it while bootstrapping?  IMHO, the easiest solution
is to arrange to compile g++ during stage1 so we are free to use it in
stage2 and later for building other languages.

Since we can rely on ISO C now, our first step is to get rid of gcc
extensions in the g++ frontend.  To achieve this and to ensure it
remains so, it means we have to build cc1plus with -pedantic and
squelch any problems.

I tried it and got these warnings:

 > % .../contrib/warn_summary -cp output.log
 > Counting warnings in the gcc/cp subdirectory,
 > there are 1014 warnings in stage3 of this bootstrap.
 >
 > [...]
 >
 > Number of warning types:
 >  713 ISO C forbids braced-groups within expressions
 >  216 bit-field `???' type invalid in ISO C
 >   55 comma at end of enumerator list
 >   11 ISO C forbids use of conditional expressions as lvalues
 >    8 ??? format, ??? arg (arg ???)
 >    7 `return' with a value, in function returning void
 >    4 ISO C does not allow extra `???' outside of a function

These all look like simple (i.e. obvious one-line) fixes.  The high
number results from headers repeatedly included.  I.e. we don't
actually have to fix 1000 spots. :-)

Are there any objections to proceeding?  If we're concerned about
diverging from 3.3 and creating merge conflicts, I believe all of
these changes will be so simple that we could safely put them in both
mainline and branch.  I.e. we're talking about e.g. adding
`__extension__' or removing extra commas, etc.

Once we get these fixed, I can test building cc1plus using solaris2
and irix6 cc to ensure it works with ISO C compilers.

		--Kaveh
--
Kaveh R. Ghazi			ghazi@caip.rutgers.edu