-shared option

Steve Ni list@boyi-online.com
Tue Apr 1 02:40:00 GMT 2003

what's the output file type using gcj -shared option in Windows OS?  It's
just a library of objective files or a DLL file? I was confused by following
examples(I don't what's type of *.so because I have no experence on
UNIX/Linux :( )

gcj -shared -o swt.so ClassA.o JNIClassB.o ....
and,
gcj -main=Hello -o Hello.exe Hello.o swt.so

Former command seems compile *.o files into a shared library(DLL file in
Windows?), but latter one tell me that gcj will link swt.so into
Hello.exe(link a DLL into exe file? ). I have no experence on C/C++ compile
too, but I think that link action is only for linking obj,lib(a collection
of obj files) into exe, it can't link dll into exe.

Then my question is the output fileby gcj -shared option  is DLL file or
library file? If I release a program, could I need package this output file
with my exe file?

If -shared isn't DLL file, then, how can I create DLL file by GCJ?

BTW, I want to explain the requirement of my project : I use many third-part
package, such as, JMF(media Framework), Javagroups(a open source project in
SF),  xerces, and so on. I want to compile my own source code into a
standalone exe file, and compile other third-part APIs into DLL, in order to
reduce the size of exe.  And, my project also allow plug-in, so I hope I can
compile each plug-in individual into standalone DLL. Is it possible?

I hope my poor English can explain my thinking exactly. Thanks!