Small footprint on Embedded system

Tom Tromey tromey@redhat.com
Tue Sep 24 16:58:00 GMT 2002

>>>>> "Jeff" == Jeff Sturm <jsturm@one-point.com> writes:

Jeff> Speaking of that... has anyone ever looked at the dwarf2 output
Jeff> of gcj?

Not me.

Jeff> It doesn't affect runtime footprint, but much of the bloated
Jeff> size of libgcj.so has to do with emitting debug info for every
Jeff> class referenced directly or indirectly from a source file.

I thought the debug info didn't get mapped by ld.so.  Is that
incorrect?

Anyway, people are best advised to build without debug info for
production use.  I assume that most OS packagers do this already (I
haven't looked).

It would be nice if gdb could find the debug info in the .o files.
Then we could simply omit it from the .so.  I imagine this is tricky,
or it probably would have been implemented already.