Windows-native GCJ 3.2 (Alternate Approach)

Ranjit Mathew rmathew@hotmail.com
Tue Sep 24 01:26:00 GMT 2002

Adam Megacz wrote:
> I believe this is called a "Canadian cross compiler".
>
> Why Canadian?  I have no idea.  Must have something to do with all the
> snow.

 From the CrossGCC FAQ at http://www.objsw.com/CrossGCC/FAQ-4.html#ss4.9
-------------------------- 8< ----------------------------
One cool thing about the GNU tools is that they support building
a cross compiler for one host on another host (i.e. building
a cross-compiler with a cross-compiler). This is called a
`Canadian Cross' because at the time a name was needed, Canada
had three national parties.

:-)

The reason I was confused is that if you define "cross compiler"
as "a compiler that runs on one machine and produces code for
another", the Stage 2 compiler in my mail is definitely a
native compiler and not a cross compiler - however, in a way
it is also a Canadian Cross Compiler going by the definition
given above... :-o

Ranjit.