.class code optimization

Tom Tromey tromey@redhat.com
Fri Oct 11 17:44:00 GMT 2002

>>>>> "Adam" == Adam Megacz <gcj@lists.megacz.com> writes:

Adam> Hrm, come to think of this, inter-class inlining could be a big
Adam> advantage for gcj.  I can't see how a JIT could ever support it.

What difficulties do you forsee?

It seems to me that if your JIT already has recompilation
capabilities, like HotSpot, then you could just inline the first time
a method is called (you probably wouldn't really do this, but it is
one way to reason about the problem).  Whether the method is in the
current class or some other class wouldn't seem to matter much.

With gcj cross-class inlining will always have to break Java binary
compatibility.  With a JIT this isn't so.