Line numbers in stack traces [was: GCJ application runs not too bad with shared libs, but crasheswith] static libs - seems to be in _Jv_MonitorEnter

Andrew Haley aph@redhat.com
Thu Nov 28 13:09:00 GMT 2002

Per Bothner writes:
 > Andrew Haley wrote:
 >
 > > In any case, here's a question: if we lose line numbers in stack
 > > traces, is that a disaster?  Does it matter?
 >
 > It's not a disaster, but it matters.  I use stack traces as a
 > debugging aid (as in new Error("foo").printStackTrace()), at least
 > when I use JDK.

Right.  The thing is that using reflection data rather than debugging
info

*  works without debugging info,
*  doesn't require additional processes to be created,
*  removes a dependency on external tools that may not be present and
   occasionally don't do what we want.

Perhaps the right thing to do is to make thr choice configurable or
have some time of runtime auto-detection.  Could be tricky, though.

Andrew.