SAX inclusion in libgcj

nferrier@tapsellferrier.co.uk nferrier@tapsellferrier.co.uk
Tue Nov 26 01:35:00 GMT 2002

Tom Tromey <tromey@redhat.com> writes:

> Nic> I've mentioned a couple of times that the ClasspathX project has a
> Nic> full JAXP implementation (apart from the XSLT). Should we include a
> Nic> regular feed of GNUJAXP in GCJ?
>
> All other things being equal, I think we should prefer GNU
> implementations to non-GNU ones.
>
> Are all other things equal?  I don't really know the SAX code.  Could
> you compare and contrast the GNU implementation with the one currently
> in the tree?

A couple of clarifications here:

1. The SAX API code is importable anywhere because it's free.

2. (c) assignment of SAX API is (I believe) unrealistic because a lot
   of different people have hacked on it.

3. You guys have the SAX code, but not JAXP interfaces or an
   implementation.

4. ClasspathX has an implementation and the SAX and DOM API
   interfaces, with the exception licence.

I don't believe these things should be in the GCJ tree. It's just
marketing that does that surely? Is there some way we could offer
bundled versions (like Sun do) but not tie them completly together?

> Nic> PS why does fastjar not work with the libgcj jar file?!
>
> How does it not work?

Haven't had time to submit a bug report... I'll get round to it.

Nic