Ahead of time compiler solutions

Philippe Laporte plaporte@wgate.com
Fri Nov 15 09:04:00 GMT 2002

Tom Tromey wrote:

>Philippe> I'm new to the topic, but is the idea of a bridge interface
>Philippe> between VMs and Ahead of time compilers crazy? Is it
>Philippe> conceivable?
>
>This is a different question.  We know it is possible, since libgcj
>includes its own VM.
>
>Bridging to an arbitrary VM could perhaps be done by generating code
>that calls out to JNI.  That would probably eliminate your performance
>gains from compilation.

I gave a second thought to thid idea and it turns out quite convenient.

So how much of an effort would be involved in having GCJ generate JNI
code (obviously as an extra option etc).

My performance measure is space, not speed...:-)

I'd be very eager to get on this asap.

Best Regards,
--

Philippe Laporte