gcj on embedded mipsel linux

Tom Tromey tromey@redhat.com
Mon Nov 4 16:25:00 GMT 2002

>>>>> "Mark" == Mark and Janice Juszczec <juszczec@hotmail.com> writes:

Not sure if you are Mark or Janice.

MorJ> I've got a Helio pda and I'm trying to port gcj to it.

Cool.

MorJ> I'm trying to shrink the 4Mb stripped libgcj.so by removing
MorJ> classes I don't need.

MorJ> I've started with the gnu packages.  Can anyone tell me what gcj
MorJ> uses the gnu packages for?  What is their relationship with the
MorJ> java packages with the same names?

The gnu.* packages are mostly implementations of things that are
required for the ordinary java.* packages to work correctly.  For
instance, character set encoders are there.

Size reduction has come up a number of times.  Nobody has a great
solution.  Depending on what you are trying to do, static linking
might work.  There are caveats to doing that though; see the list
archives for details.