Unloading classes

Tom Tromey tromey@redhat.com
Mon Nov 4 08:49:00 GMT 2002

>>>>> "Jeff" == Jeff Sturm <jsturm@one-point.com> writes:

Jeff> I'd seen the opposite, i.e. classes can be GC'ed prematurely:
Jeff> http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/java/2002-07/msg00043.html

I'd forgotten about this.  It turns out I was running into a problem
that looks like this a couple weeks ago.

Jeff> Possibly the easiest thing is to not _Jv_RegisterClass
Jeff> interpreted classes at all.  I hacked together the patch below
Jeff> some time ago, but hadn't gotten around to submitting it because
Jeff> I'm not convinced it doesn't break classloading in some subtle
Jeff> way.

I haven't read the patch very closely, but I think this approach is
the way to go.  It solves the GC problem in a straightforward way.
Also it opens the door to merging ClassLoader with Classpath.