PATCH: Improve Java build times

Tom Tromey tromey@redhat.com
Fri May 31 15:22:00 GMT 2002

>>>>> "Zack" == Zack Weinberg <zack@codesourcery.com> writes:

Zack> Also, JCF_USE_STDIO is defined nowhere -- suggest ripping out
Zack> that option entirely.  Code that uses stat does not gain any
Zack> portability from using stdio.

There's other weird, dead code in gcj.  For instance look for
JAVA_USE_HANDLES.  I'm not really sure what either of these options
was intended for.  I'm definitely in favor of removing any code that
has sat unused for years...

Zack> A broader question: Why is this code using the obsolete DEFUN()
Zack> notation?  These programs are only compiled with GCC - why do
Zack> they have K+R compat notation at all?

I suppose when the code was written, that was the standard for all of
gcc.  Things changed since then, but nobody updated this code.