building a standalone executable

David Young dvd@OCF.Berkeley.EDU
Sat May 25 01:04:00 GMT 2002

Hi all,

I've been reading a lot about building Java executables that don't
require any JVM.  This freedom from the JVM really appealed to me since
I always dread asking people to download a large JRE just to try some
programs I'm writing.  GCJ seemed like the way to go to make software
execution speedy and simple for any user.

But is there a way to create a standalone Java executable?  In
particular, I was looking for a way to allow people to download a single
package and run the executable directly, rather than having to install
several other packages as prerequisites.  Would this mean that I would
have to include libgcj into the single package?  Does libgcj's license
allow that?

I'm not too familiar w/ using GCC, so this is all quite new (and
exciting) to me.  I appreciate your help.

-David