gcj, libjava status on darwin.

Andreas Tobler toa@pop.agri.ch
Thu May 23 23:22:00 GMT 2002

Bryce McKinlay wrote:
> Adam Megacz wrote:
>
>> Speaking of gcj on Darwin, what ever happened to the issue whereby the
>> GC wouldn't work on Darwin because the Darwin libpthread doesn't allow
>> you to send a signal to a specific thread?

Well, at least now more people can try to play with these issue since we
don't have to tweak anymore on the libjava side. And we don't depend on
UFS. Which is in my opinion a big step forward.

> That is still an issue. Currently on Darwin I suspect you can have
> either threads or GC, but not both. This will be fixed when Apple
> release the new version of OS X with fully working pthreads (hopefully
> they will finally fix their ctype.h as well ;-) We could work around the
> problem by making mach thread calls directly, but it would be cleaner
> and less fragile to have Darwin using the linux/posix threads code path.

Ctype should be addressed. And the pthreads as well. It's a question of
time now until 10.x appears (x >= 2).

> Also, we don't seem to support shared libraries on Darwin - we need to
> get a newwer version of libtool in order for this to work, I think.

In gcc general or in libjava? I guess in general?

Regards,

Andreas

Doing a bootstrap again....