PATCH: Improve Java build times

Mark Mitchell mark@codesourcery.com
Sun May 19 19:16:00 GMT 2002

--On Monday, May 20, 2002 11:55:57 AM +1000 "Billinghurst, David (CRTS)"
<David.Billinghurst@riotinto.com> wrote:

> WOW.  This has made a massive difference to java compile times
> on cygwin - jc1 is one or two orders of magnitude faster.

Glad to hear it.

Now I hope I'll be forgiven for my earlier Makefile.am change which
was accused of making things slower. :-)  We can now run in parallel
and we can compile each file much faster, so we win twice.

We should also reopen the question of applying all these patches to the
branch.  I don't know quite what to think about that.  On the one hand,
these are definitely not patches to fix regressions.  On the other, if
we can improve our testing cycle times significantly, that matters.

I'm not totally objective, having written the patches.  Would some Java
people care to comment on this issue?  Would you review the patches
carefully and comment on what you see as the downside risks?  Do you
think the upside is worth those risks?

Thanks,