When will SWING be supported?

Per Bothner per@bothner.com
Mon May 13 08:43:00 GMT 2002

Clemens Eisserer wrote:
> But when will swing or awt be supported. I want to compile my programms
 > with gcj but I need a gui and I dont want to learn java-gtk only for a
 > few months without swing. So, how long will it estimated take to
implement this?

The estimated time is however long it takes somebody to write it,
debug it, and submit it.

That said, I don't see Swing happening in the foreseeable future, at
least not anything more than a very small subset.  The priority is
to get AWT working, and in general complete the JDK 1.1 functionality.
We have lots of Java 2 functionality, but there is no hope anytime
soon of having *all* of the JDK 1.2 functionality.  However, all
of JDK 1.1 is relatively close.  But as long as we're depending on
volunteers, we cannot make any estimates.
--
	--Per Bothner