gcj/freenet status 20020504

Göran Thyni goran@kirra.net
Tue May 7 07:46:00 GMT 2002

I'm out of town so I can just speculated until I have an oppotunity
to investigate things closer

On Tue, May 07, 2002 at 01:28:48PM +0100, Andrew Haley wrote:
> What will cause that to happen?  If the child process blocks on
> output, when eventually its parent exits it will be owned by exec
> which will patiently wait for it to terminate.

More patient than me, :-)
I killed them manually.
They propabably waits for something from their dead father,
I would guess that an "out of memory" exception kills fred
and leaves his children orphaned.

> It sounds to me like "addr2line" and "c++filt" are buggy.  There's no
> reason they should be large.

At least addr2line is working against fred's pid file the /proc file system.
If it maps the process, addr2line itself will be very large since
fred is large himself.
And fred is multithreaded too so if he throws exceptions in several
threads and there will be a large addr2line (and c++filt) for each
thread hanging around til the particular thread dies, mucho memory
will be eaten by fred and his friends.

regards,
--
Göran Thyni